Carrying an external LCD screen monitor with your DLSR Camera can be stressful at times. Getting the right settings using the inbuilt screen with your DLSR might seems uninteresting by pressing the menu botton to make the right settings and a better view while shooting.
Do you know that with just a USB OTG connector from your Android devices to your DLSR camera, you can enjoy a quick and better control of your DLSR Camera.
This you can make happen by installing the controlling app on your android device, with a simple USB connection, your android smartphones will save you some few dollars you probably might have invest on buying an external LCD screen monitor and as a more great value, ability of you turning your android into a controlling house for your DSLR Cameras.
There are lot of Android compatible application out there that you can install on your android devices to make it happen both free and paid.
In this article i will discuss about two adroid app that is available on google play store that will install on your android devices and with the help of OTG USB to connect with your camera.
1. DLSR Controller (Beta) by Chainfire DOWNLOAD HERE
DSLR Controller by chainfire which i will recommend for you was the first and the best app that take a full control of your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device with a USB cable. Interestingly, you do not need any computer or laptop, All you need is a compatible android mobile device, Your DSLR camera, and the right USB cable.
Some compatible DSLR camera that can work with the DSLR camera controller are: 1D mk IV, 5D mk II, 5D mk III, 50D, 550D, 6D, 60D, 600D, 650D, 7D, 70D, 700D, 750D, 1100D.
What You need for this set up (For iPad)
– A compatible Canon EOS model camera.
– Jailbroken iPad, iPad 3 and iPad Mini
– Camera Connection Kit. Be sure to get the one that fits your iPad:
– Male full-size USB to male mini USB cable. Usually comes with the camera.
How To Set UP DLSR Controller (Beta)
– Connect the full-size USB port of the USB cable to the female USB end of the camera connection kit
– Connect the mini USB end of the USB cable to the camera’s A/V OUT port
– Connect the 30-pin/lightning end of the camera connection kit to your iPad
– Once you connect all the cables and turn the camera on, the iPad’s built-in photo viewer app will pop up. Just tap the home button, and tap the DSLR Controller icon from the application list.
If you start DSLR Controller before plugging in / turning on the camera, it will try to automatically close the photo viewer app when it pops up and restart itself instead.
Click here to visit the developer website to read more details on features and device compatibility
2.CampCap DOWNLOAD HERE
What You Need To Start
– An Android phone with USB OTG (USB host) capabilities
– A USB OTG cable
– A Canon or Nikon DSLR
How To Se UP CampCap
Connect your DSLR camera to the phone using the USB OTG cable and choose the installed Campcap on your android device.Remember CapCam is a good for tablets but can be use with smartphones as well. This DSLR Controller provides a Live View for photos and video. This is great for low-angle shots and for quick overview with pinch-to-zoom and tap-to-focus feature.
Just attached your phone to the camera using a standard hot shoe mount adapter and a modified phone holder and key it on your DLSR Cameras head light holder.
Don’t you find it more interesting and fun combining your Android phone/tablet with your DSLR.